Wedding Videography: Bride Blogger Update

17:00 Steampunk 0 Comments

With Father’s Day just a few days past, today, Kimberly share us why video is an important part of her history with her father and future wedding plans…

***

[Memory is] a man’s real possession…In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor. Alexander Smith (1830 – 1867)

Truth be told, I wasn’t going to do video – I only wanted a photographer.  I felt if you have a great photographer, then you don’t have to worry about missing any aspect of your day.  Because I had expressed remote interest in video, I searched the internet and found companies whose work I liked.  The work that resonated with me was from Martin Andrews of Blue Sky Films . Aimee set up an appointment to see if this was something I wanted to pursue.

Meeting Martin was great; he was really easy to talk to and I left with a package of information and a demo reel to review.   I let my parents know that I had taken an appointment with Blue Sky and that while I was still thinking about video, I probably wouldn’t have one.  I never realized that something as a (seemingly) insignificant choice of not wanting a videographer would affect my parents (pardon me, parent) as much as it did.

Dad – the gregarious, philosophical, thinker of the family turned into someone I didn’t recognize – sullen and put out because I didn’t want video.  My mom – negotiator, listener, and former teacher revisited her teaching days to get us to understand each other’s position.  After days of Mom hearing my father lament the point, she asked me to talk with him.  During my next visit, he requested 10 minutes of my time to talk.  The morning of my departure, I approached dad and let him know I was ready to talk when he was.  He asked me to go in the library and wait for him.

Arriving in the library, I noticed his Bell and Howell projector was set up along with a chair.  I went in, took a seat, and waited.  About a minute later dad walked in, turned off the light and turned the projector on.  I couldn’t believe what I saw.  Images of me running across the yard as a toddler – 1972, then me running toward my dog Bianca circa 1974, and wait, there’s me again riding my bike minus training wheels in 1977.

I couldn’t believe he still had all of these home movies capturing me at various stages of my life.  He looked at me and said, “Photos capture a moment in time; film documents your life story.”  Okay, he had me there.  Clearly I wasn’t old enough to remember myself at this age, but the moment was forever captured for me to re-live and remember.

I finally got it.  The videographer wasn’t for me, but for him.  He wanted to add this to the collection of memories he had been collecting for the past 39 years and store them away with all the others. I’ll gladly give the man who has given me everything the gift of another memory.  I wonder if Martin is still available on October 16th.

You Might Also Like

0 评论: