Mike Bleech’s 3-weight fly rod instructions

01:20 Steampunk 0 Comments

Erie Times-News outdoors writer Mike Bleech recently wrote about the latest version in his series of annual fishing projects. He’s built his own 3-weight fly rod with the intention of chasing wild trout.

Mike promised specs to anyone interested. Here they are:

Guide sizes and spacing (distance from tip)  4 5/8 inches, #2/0; 9 5/8 inches, #1/0; 15 3/8 inches, #1; 22 inches, #1; 29 1/4 inches, #1; 38 inches, #1; 46 7/8 inches, #2; 56 inches, #3; 65 1/8 inches, #16 Hialoy Ring stripping guide. All guides except the stripping guide are single foot fly guides that I got from the Netcraft catalog . Guides on page 79.

I altered the guide spacing just slightly so the wrap on guide #7 is also the ferrule wrap. Otherwise it is a pretty standard spacing for a rod of this length. It seems to be right, since it casts very nicely. Of course, a 3-weight fly rod is not meant to cast very far.

I got the blank from the Cabela’s Tackle Craft catalog , page 7, model No. RF2F793. It is a 7-foot 9-inch, 3-weight.

I used a half wells reversed cork handle, about 7 inches long. I already had this and I do not know where it came from. Likewise, I already had the reel seat. It is about 3 3/4 inches long. It has a rosewood insert. Then I added a Royal Coachman decal. Also, I used a winding check at the front of the handle.

You Might Also Like

0 评论: