DIY Pomanders

16:00 Steampunk 0 Comments

There’s no need to get pomanders from your florists, when you can do it yourself for less! Jen, a recent Edmonton bride, was nice enough to share with us her steps on how she made these pink & white pomanders which she hung from the pews during the ceremony.

Says Jen:

For my wedding, I was looking for a way to spruce up the ends of the pews in the church, without the traditional tulle bows attached to them – so I decided to try to make my own flower pomander balls….and they turned out great in my opinion!

By cutting down the length of the ribbon, these could have easily been used by bridesmaids or a flower girl to hold instead of a bouquet or basket.

Materials used:

  • 2.5 inch Styrofoam balls (purchased at Michael’s)
  • Stick Pins
  • Ribbon (any width you want, for mine I did really skinny ribbon)
  • Hot Glue Gun & Glue
  • Artificial Flowers
  • Attaching Ribbon to ball:

Start by cutting the ribbon you want to use to hang the balls to the length you want (any color your want, and as many ribbons as you want). For my flower balls, I did two ribbons, one in pink and one in brown and cut each piece to 24 inches.

Put a dab of hot glue onto the Styrofoam ball and place one end of the ribbon (or of each ribbon if you are using more then one color) into the glue (you might have to push down the ribbon into the glue with a toothpick or something).

Place another dab of hot glue over the spot again, placing the other end of the ribbon(s) into the glue this time. Take a stick pin and place it through the glue and ribbons, further securing it into the Styrofoam ball. As an added measure, after the stick pin was inserted into the Styrofoam ball, I put some hot glue on top of the pin head, just to be safe that bugger wasn’t going anywhere!

You should now have a Styrofoam ball with the ribbon attached to it in a loop….now for the fun part of starting to attach the flowers.

Attaching Flowers to ball:

I bought bunches of artificial flowers from a dollar store. Start by removing the flowers from the stems (will just pull off), so you should be left with the flower and a small tip sticking out of the bottom of the flower (where the stem attached to the artificial flower).

Put a fairly large dab of hot glue onto the Styrofoam ball where you want to place a flower and push flower into Styrofoam ball (so the tip goes into the ball). You will need to hold the flower there for about a minute or so to make is secure.

TIP: I noticed when I was making mine that the hot glue tended to “melt” the Styrofoam a bit, but by holding the flower in place for about a minute each, they stayed perfectly fine. If you let go after holding it for only 30 seconds or so, the flower would come apart from the ball. This could be remedied by using another type of glue probably – but I never looked into it as I had a whack of hot glue gun sticks I wanted to use up.

Continue to place flowers onto ball until ball is completely covered.

TIP: One suggestion I got from another bride was if you are covering the ball with all the same color flowers (i.e. all pink) then a good idea is to paint the Styrofoam ball first with that color of paint (just simple craft paint), that way, if there is a slight spot between the flowers, you won’t see the white or green ball showing through. I didn’t do this as I was using both pink and white flowers, and my Styrofoam balls were white.

TIP: As I was using the hot glue gun and the flowers had to be held for a minute each or so, I found it easiest to do 2 balls at a time, that way, the ball could sit for a bit (while I worked on the other one) after I attached a flower, further giving it time to set.

DIY Pomanders

Thanks Jen!

You Might Also Like

0 评论: