Featured Designer: Lea-Ann Belter

17:00 Steampunk 0 Comments

I am so excited to introduce to you all a top Canadian bridal designer, Lea-Ann Belter . I guess you could say I’ve been a fan of Lea-Ann’s designs since I started this wedding blog because I opened my first magazine after coming across one of her gowns and thought, “now that’s my kind of designer”.

Her designs are a mix of simplicity and elegance. Details are noticed but understated. In my mind, the gowns are timeless. Not to mention, they’re frankly just utterly chic. I hope you’ll take some time out of your day to read today’s spotlight post, as I asked Lea-Ann to share some details about her gowns and give a little advice for all of you engaged! Enjoy.

Featured Designer: Lea-Ann Belter
What is it about creating wedding gowns that got you started in this business?

The first job I got when I graduated from fashion school was to make my brother’s fiancé’s gown. Everyone loved it and started asking me to make gowns for them, and it just grew from there. I officially started Lea-Ann Belter Bridal 21 years ago with a $7,500 New Ventures loan from the government, which paid first and last month’s rent on my first shop on Yorkville Ave. I still remember pulling up in front of the shop with my sewing machine and dress form in the back of my red and white pickup truck.

What type of material do you love to work with?

I love to work with silk. It is such a luscious fabric and moves and drapes so beautifully. I also enjoy working with lace. There is so much you can do with it. You don’t just have to use it as a panel; you can cut it up and use all the little pieces.

Featured Designer: Lea-Ann Belter

What was your opinion about the Kate Middleton’s royal wedding gown? Do you think that we will be seeing a resurgence in lace & sleeves?

I thought Kate Middleton’s dress was stunning and perfect for her and the event. She looked so elegant and regal. I’m not sure if we’re going to see a resurgence of sleeves, but I definitely think we will see more jackets. It’s a great option to have a little lace jacket to wear over the gown for the ceremony and then take off at the reception. It’s like having two different looks.

Wedding Obsession readers enjoy modern and contemporary weddings. Do you think the simplicity in your designs lends well to this style of wedding?

I do think the simplicity of my designs lend well to a contemporary style of wedding. I try to put a modern spin on every style I design. Even a traditional ball gown style can be accented with the latest trend-setting details.

What advice would you give brides when they’re choosing their style of wedding gown?

Be true to yourself and your own sense of style, and you will never regret it. What you wear on one of the most important days of your life is an expression of who you are, so I always suggest that brides experiment with fashion at another event, like the engagement party or rehearsal dinner instead.

Featured Designer: Lea-Ann Belter

You can view more of her collection online and visit her flagship boutique located on Queen Street East in Toronto. Gowns are also available at some stores across North America & Europe. See the site for more details.

Thanks Lea-Ann!

{images courtesy Lea-Ann Belter Bridal }

You Might Also Like

0 评论: